Saturday, December 3, 2011

How to download Windows Updates for Offline Installation

Hello again,

Over the years I've experimented a lot with my PC in the hopes of optimizing it to its maximum potential(and I eventually succeeded). This wasn't easy when I started out. I used to screw up the OS every second day and then used to do a clean format and re-install everything (I know, I know, I'm a complete NOOB sometimes, but I'm a lot more experienced now). Well the re-install wasn't a big problem, but getting all those "precious" Windows OS updates was a real pain in the ***!!!!(India doesn't have good net speeds so downloading huge amounts of data is really hard)

Microsoft allows users to download updates manually from its "Download Center" website but they don't provide all the updates in a single package. More over the update files have odd names and are not at all easy to recognize(eg. KBxxxxxxx).

I needed a software which download the updates for me, all at once and presented them in an easily installable format.

So as always I set out with my good friend, Google to find a solution to this problem.

And I returned with....

WSUS Offline Update

Features:
  • Easy to use GUI. I will be providing step by step instructions for downloading, but still its really straightforward.
  • Downloads updates for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Office 2003, Office 2007, Office 2010 including Service Pack updates.
  • Differentiates between x64(64bit) and x86(32bit) updates so that people don't end up downloading updates that are not meant for their systems. 
  • Supports multiple language pack downloads for updates. 
  • Also includes option to download Microsoft Security Essentials and definition updates, Windows Defender definitions and Runtime Components(i.e. Visual C++ Redist packages).
  • Allows users to store all the updates in an ISO file for making backup DVDs and CDs.
  • Includes an auto-installer in the update packages for an easy and automated install.

It is constantly updated. Its doesn't have an Auto-Update feature so users will have to check the site for regular updates.

Well then lets get started with the tutorial.

Setting up WSUS:
  • Download it from http://www.wsusoffline.net/
  • Extract the archive to a suitable location with at least 10gb of free space.(It doesnt actually need that much but its somewhere close to 8gb)
  • Run UpdateGenerator.exe from the program folder.
Downloading Updates for your PC:

 

  1. You will be greeted with above screen. This is the update download tab for Windows. Here select the desired language for the desired OS for which you want to download the updates. Be sure to select the proper architecture for your OS(i.e. x64 or x86)
  2. Now we can switch to the Office updates tab.
  3. Its the same drill here too. Select language for the updates of the desired Office version.
  4. In the Options box you can mark the checkboxes according to personal preference. These are optional updates. I recommend checking INCLUDE SERVICE PACKS, MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS, C++ RUNTIME LIBRARIES and VERIFY DOWNLOADED UPDATES. If you want an ISO then select the create ISO option too.
  5. Hit START. 
  6. DONE!
Now you'll see the Command Prompt pop up and get down to serious downloading. I didn't understand much of the text on the Command Prompt, but the updates are stored in the Client folder in the program directory.

Using the Auto-Update Installer(UpdateInstaller.exe):
  1. Once the download is over you'll most likely have to start the update installer manually, but from there its automated(at least I think it is).
  2. The UpdateInstaller.exe is located in the "client" folder in the program directory.
  3. Fire it up and you'll see a screen like this
  4. Depending on what options you chose during the updates download, you'll have various options available to you here(I just used the tool to download the updates and create an ISO hence my screenshot does not show those options as selectable). For people who create ISOs, a copy of this installer is included in every ISO you create.
  5. Choose the updates you want to install. CAUTION: Keep BACKUP EXISTING SYSTEM FILES CHECKED in case something goes wrong.
  6. Press START!
  7. DONE!


I hope this tutorial was helpful to you all. I look forward to suggestions and comments. If you want me to write on a particular topic, please do let me know. If its within my knowledge, I'll definitely post it.
 
NOTE: If you find it useful, please consider donating to the developer for continued development and support of this AWESOME software!


Thanks for reading! 

PS: Just let me know if you guys feel that I should start with a short intro to the topic or get straight to the point! I do feel sometimes that the readers would get bored in the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. I made the Office 2010 updates iso.. and used it to update but it never installed the Office SP1..although it was existing in the iso...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... I'll be trying the Office 2010 updates on a PC soon. I'll let you know about my findings soon. It worked fine on Office 2007 though!

    ReplyDelete